Best Air Fryer of 2018! Air Fryers Reviews and Buyer`s guide!
We all want to live long, healthy lives but it is not easy with all the great tasting food out there. Whether we want to admit it or not we can’t stop eating greasy food but there has been advances in cooking technology that will let us enjoy fried foods without the grease or oil. The technology we are going to be speaking about today is air fryers, don’t worry these devices are not only for the wealthy or well connected. What we intend to do is provide you with some insight into how these devices work, benefits and potential cons associated with them, by the time you reach the end of this conversation you will be able to pick the air fryer that is right for you and your family.
How Does an Air Fryer Work?
Don’t worry, this portion of our conversation will not be overly technical, however we should first look at how deep fryers work so we can appreciate the nuances of the oil less fryer. When we deep fry food we place it in a basket that is then lowered into a pool of hot oil/grease. Once the food is immersed in the oil the heat is transferred into the food so it cooks at a rapid rate, this rapid heating seals in the moisture of the food while giving it a crispy exterior. This “crisping” makes the food taste great however there is a downside as we all know. The oil/grease being used will leave a residue on the food that cannot be removed no matter how many times you try to wipe it off, this residue increases our total fat intake and when a person eats too much saturated fat they are at an increased risk of heart disease. This is one of the problems linked to deep frying however there is also the challenge of cleaning up the mess after you are done cooking. The steam from the oil can make the home smell like a restaurant and then disposing of the oil is also labor intensive so it is not something you will enjoy. Now that you have a firm understanding of how the deep fryer works we can delve into how the air fryer works.
The air fryer uses two approaches to cook your food, the first component is an element similar to the one in your convection oven. It will heat up and radiate heat that can penetrate your food however that is just half of the process. When the air fryer is activated there is a powerful fan that will pull up air from within the unit, this air circulates similar to the way a cyclone twists. This super-heated air is going to permeate all of the food in the basket so it cooks evenly. This process is similar to the one we described earlier with the oil but unlike the oil air does not contain any fat or other compounds that could negatively impact your health. The benefit of using this air fryer is you will have food that tastes like its deep fried without any of the guilt. Aside from the great taste there are a few additional benefits you should be aware of before we do anything else:
- Simple cleanup, since there is no oil being used you do not have to scrub the internal or external components of the fryer. This and there is no smell of “oil” in your home which can be a huge problem for some families that love fried food.
- Don’t have to worry about potential injuries. With hot oil/grease there is a risk of serious burn and injury. This is not to say that the air fryer is completely risk free but it won’t take as long to cool down and once the unit is off there is no additional source of heat. With grease and oil, it can stay hot for a prolonged period of time.
While the air fryer has changed the way we prepare fried foods it can seem like a daunting tasking deciding on which air fryer is actually going to be the right one for you and your family. There has been a dramatic spike in the number of different air fryers that are available in the market and in order to make the best possible use of your time we have narrowed down the list to what we feel are the best options out there. The way we will tackle this scenario is by first reviewing the pros and cons of each unit and based on that you can determine what is going to be a good fit. One thing is very certain, after you have completed this review you will never look at your deep fryer the same away!
Best Air Fryer 2018 Reviews:
The Avalon Bay AB Airfryer kicks off our best healthy fryer reviews but remember that this list is not sequential meaning the first one is not our top choice we are just providing the information in an easy to read format, what you do with it is up to you. So with this unit you are going to have a few different cooking options available to you. Not only can you fry which is expected with all air fryers but you will also have the ability to bake as well. The mini-convection oven feature will let you cook baked goods without having to use your primary oven which is very convenient but on top of that you are going to receive a cook book that will help you harness the full cooking potential of the Avalon AB Airfryer, the unit comes with automatic safety shutoff and 30-minute timer you can prepare your food, “set it and forget it” then come back once its cooked. The unit weighs under twenty pounds so it should be very easy to move around your kitchen, it comes with the following features.
- 52-page cookbook that we just mentioned, will help you make the most of the Avalon Bay AB Airfryer.
- Detachable mesh basket that will let you transfer cooked food easily to dishes so you can serve in a hurry.
- Very affordable price coming in well under $200.00
- Average sized basket but may not be suitable for families with 8 or more members.
See also: Best Sandwich Maker
The GoWise GW22621 is the epitome in airy frying technology, this model represents the fourth generation and it has a lot to offer starting with the touch screen controls, it is simple to use with virtually no learning curve but do not let the simplicity fool you when it comes to this unit there is more than what meets the eye. It has pre-installed programming for seven of the most common things people will eat from meat, fish, chips etc so you simply push a button and it will take care of the rest for you. Along with the pre-programmed settings there is an adjustable thermostat that will let you set the temperature up to 400F so you have more than enough cooking power to meet the needs of a hungry family. What makes this feature very unique is the degree of control you have when cooking, even most deep fryers only have temperature ranges but does not give precision control like the GoWise provides. The unit also has a thirty-minute timer so you can walk away from the unit and take care of other things knowing your food will be cooked to perfection by the time you come back.
- Unit has a touchscreen so just about anyone in your family can use the unit without a hassle.
- Robust temperature control so you will be able to adjust the temperature of the fryer, this guarantees a perfect outcome each and every time.
- Thirty-minute timer so you can set the GoWise GW22621 up and then focus on other important matters.
- Unit is relatively light so you have to make sure it is placed far back on the counter.
Philips is one of the most recognized names in the home appliance niche and celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay is an icon in the cooking world so it should come as no surprise as to why such a large number of people out there purchase this particular model of airfryer, if Gordon Ramsay recommends it then it must be good. While we have the utmost respect for Mr. Ramsay we would be doing you a disservice if we did not take a closer look into what this unit has to offer.
- There are over 5 million units sold and it has been ranked as one of the most popular air fryers in the world.
- Very simple to use interface so you do not have to spend a considerable amount of time reading the manual, you set it up and you should be good to go from there.
Given the celebrity status that this Philips air fryer carries you are going to pay a premium to enjoy all of the benefits it has to offer.
Black & Decker Air Fryer are titans in the home appliance sector and have been for decades, this organization once set the standard when it came to appliances. This one is very robust so you will probably need to take your time reviewing the benefits. The unit has two circulating fans that are operating at high speed, this creates a large amount of heated air moving around your food. Since the air is moving at such a high rate of speed your food is going to become crispier without using any oil at all! Another benefits with the top rated air fryer is you are going to have a full two-liter (2L) capacity which can handle large amounts of food, perfect for younger families that are growing and always hungry. While the majority of air fryers in the market have thirty-minute timers this unit comes with a fully sixty-minute timer so you will have more time to spend with your family instead of waiting for food to cook. The timer will come in handy since you also have the ability to adjust the temperature from one-hundred and seventy-five degrees all the way up to four hundred degrees (175F-400F). The unit also comes with two indicator lights that will let you know when the unit is powered on and also when the device has reached the desired temperature for cooking. There are practically no drawbacks to this unit aside from the price but even that is competitive.
- The Black & Decker Air Fryer comes with a large 2L basket so it can handle the most demanding needs of a hungry family.
- Indicator light will let you know when the unit has reached the desired temperature so you get the best possible cooking results.
- 60-minute programmable timer so you will know is the best time to take the food out of the unit without having to hover over it waiting for the food to cook.
- Adjustable thermostat so you can set the temperature between 175F and 400F, you will have complete control of the food.
- Cool touch handle so you do not have to worry about burning your hands, this is a great feature for individuals with younger families.
- Non-stick parts which help make clean-up very easy.
- Basket separator so you can cook more than one type of food at the same time without having to worry about possible spillovers.
- Difficult to get the unit on discount but you can if you shop around.
This is another great air fryer from Philips and was designed by Gordon Ramsay himself. The very fact that Gordon inspired the look and design of the Philips air fryer is one of the primary reasons it is a hot seller (pun intended). It comes with a 150 page cookbook crafted by Gordon himself so you know it is going to be delicious and healthy at the same time. Along with the cookbook the unit is going to come with the following features that will surely make your life much easier.
- Double Layer rack with skewers which gives you more creative cooking options.
- Quick clean removable bottom so you can easily clean the fryer when you are done using it.
- Non-stick surface so you will never have to scrub pans to get them clean!
- Price may be a little higher than what you are willing to spend but the Philips air fryer is worth it.
TFal is up there with the air fryer philips walita and the Black & Decker airfryer when it comes to being a top tier appliance manufacturer. Their air fryer does not disappoint when it comes to being a heavyweight you will have the ability to cook up to 2.2 pounds at a time without having to use more than a teaspoon of oil! Try doing that with any other fryer in the market. The T-Fal Airfryer comes with a cookbook that will help you get a running start when trying to come up with ideas of what to cook for supper. This airfryer is dishwasher safe so after you have used it you can put it to wash without having to get your hands wet in the process! You will be happy to know the exterior utilizes the latest in “stay cool” technology so while the food is cooking at a high temperature you can touch the outside without burning yourself, an excellent feature if you have young children in the home.
- Easy to use fryer means you spend more time cooking than trying to figure out how it works.
- 2-pound weight capacity so you will not have any problems cooking large meals in a short amount of time.
- Stay cool technology will keep you cool even while food is cooking at high temperatures.
- Dishwasher safe so you can easily clean it without having to roll up your sleeves.
- This T-Fal Airfryer weighs just under 11 pounds so it is very light, you have to exercise caution when using it not to knock it over.
See also: Best Sandwich Makers
This affordable air fryer by Della is utilizing the latest generation of air frying technology that should provide you and your family with some great tasting meals. The unit is very energy efficient so you will be happy to know you are doing your part for the environment while feeding your family at the same time. We are going to run down a few of the major benefits linked to these units. The air fryer comes with a carry handle so you can literally pick it up and carry it with you wherever you go, that is convenient when compared to other models that do not give this feature. You benefit from full temperature control since you can select a temperate all the way up to 392F so there is plenty of cooking power. The thirty-minute timer will provide you with the option to set the air fryer then focus on other things. Aside from all of these great features one of the greatest benefits is the prices which is very affordable even if you are on a tight budget.
- Very affordable price, just about everyone can afford it.
- Comprehensive temperature control so you can set the thermostat to the perfect temperature so your food always tastes amazing.
- Carrying handle so you can transport the air fryer whenever you want to take it somewhere without having to use two hands.
- Energy efficient so you don’t waste energy waiting for your food to cook.
- The basket size is not very large but suitable for the average family.
This sleek, black air fryer by GoWise is a very popular choice, there are a few features that make it distinct in the market so we wanted to touch on some of these. It has a 3.7-quart capacity so you can cook a considerable amount of food in a short amount of time. This is a great feature for busy families that simply don’t have time to prepare complex meals. The built-in cooking timer will give you up to a full 30-minutes of unattended cooking time so you can set the timer and do something else. If you prefer this particular air fryer also comes with 8 pre-programmed settings so you can push one button and you are done. The unit is easy to clean so there is no need to spend a large amount of time with the clean-up after you have prepared a sumptuous meal for your family.
- Easy to use and offers full temperature control up to 392F
- 8 pre-set timings for meat, fish etc… so you don’t have to guess how long to cook something.
- Timer lets you set the air fryer with a predetermined shutoff time that will give you peace o mind.
- The unit does not have a carrying handle so if you want to transport you would need both hands.
The VonShef is a popular air fryer due to the relatively large 2.3-quart basket size you can cook a good amount of food without having to cut corners. It only uses 1230W of energy while it gives you up to 400F of circulating heat that will leave your food crispy and warm. Since we are all energy conscious you will be happy to know this fryer is not going to increase your energy costs. It comes with cool touch handles so you will not have to worry about injuring yourself or members of your family just be sure to always leave the air fryer on a flat surface. Another great feature is the 4 non-slip feet on the fryer, this means you do not have to worry about having the unit topple over when you are putting food into it or taking food out.
- Very energy efficient so you save money cooking great tasting food.
- Non-slip feet so the unit is less likely to topple over, great feature if you have pets or a young family.
- Programmable thermostat that can each up to 400F.
- Dishwasher safe so you can clean the fryer without having to worry about messes afterwards.
- Lack of a pre-set cooking times.
Ivation 1500 Watt Multifunction Electric Air Fryer with Digital LED Touch Display Featuring 8 Cooking Presets Menu, Timer and Temperature Control
The Ivation is one brand that has a really elegant looking air fryer for the price range. It is not a cheap air fryer. This unit looks like it would cost significantly more than what it does but it not only looks top tier it also provides some very appealing features. There are many presets built into the fryer so you can hit a preset and the food is going to be cooked to perfection, whether it is fish, poultry or anything else the presets should give you peace of mind. Aside from the presets there is also the thermostat which lets you set the temperature all the way up to 392F with ease. The food will be great tasting and crispy.
- Very easy to use, clean and it is non-stick so you don’t have to deal with messy cleanups.
- Preset temperatures are going to give you peace of mind knowing the food will be cooked right the first time around.
- Price is very affordable given the look and feel of the air fryer.
- The unit does not have a wide range of accessories that other units offer.
Big Boss Oil-less Fryer has earned its name as one of the most popular AirFryer available on the market. This Air fryer is truly the big boss just as its name suggests as it happens to be the biggest among other models as it comes with a 16-quart capacity that is sure to accommodate whatever cooking needs you may have. So if you’re looking for a spacious interior capacity, the Big Boss Fryer might be the product for you. However, with such large capacity, you’ll expect to have sufficient storage space to keep it, and I don’t think that’s a problem.
This AirFryer comes in five beautiful colors including Red, Black, Blue, Gray and White. The Big Boss cooks your meal using a combination of convection, halogen heat, and infrared technology. Convection helps distribute hot air and speed up the entire cooking process. The halogen heat brings about the browning, roasting, and flavor as it directly heats up food surfaces. Then the infrared technology helps cook food the inside out and retain its juicy goodness. The temperature ranges up to 450 degrees F, giving you the chance to set the perfect temperature for what you’re cooking. There’s no doubt that your meal will be cooked three times faster making it super easy to cook foods such as French fries, fish, hot wings, steak and chicken strips.
Moreover, the Big Boss Oil-Less Fryer comes with a mesh tray which is used for air frying, and it works with a variety of poultry, French fries as well as other vegetables. It also works frozen foods such as fish sticks. Also, the extended ring is sure to increase the capacity of the bowl so you can cook large foods such as roasted chicken. Overall, the Big Boss is undoubtedly one of the best fryers that are sure to cook your meals and give you heart-healthy satisfaction. It also features an adjustable timer, and its parts are dishwasher safe.
- It has a large cooking capacity.
- It’s less expensive than other models of the same grade.
- The fryer gives food the taste of perfection.
- It cooks chicken really fast.
- The two racks it features makes cooking more efficient.
- Poor customer service
- The timer is not user-friendly.
When it comes to owning a classic looking Digital Air Fryer without breaking the bank, the NuWave 36001 is sure to come into play. The NuWave air fryer looks more like a device from the future making it ideal for today’s 21st-century homes. The exterior of this product is made of plastic, making it lightweight and very easy to move around. The interior also comes with a grate basket and non-stick surfaces; these two features ensures even heat distribution and effortless cleaning.
It also functions with digital LED controls which are sure that give you maximum accuracy and consistent results while in use. With a temperature range from 100 Degree F to 390 Degree F, you can be sure of whipping all sorts of delicious treats for your family at any time of the day. Moreover, it comes with an auto pre-heat option; this function helps you cook faster at the required temperature. The NuWave air fryer has a 3.5-quart capacity; this size might not be good enough for some people, especially those with large families. It also has an advanced safety feature which does not allow the unit to operate unless the basket is properly fitted in place. Also, the 3.5-quart basket has specially designed grates which come in handy when it comes to even heating of your delicious foods. Lastly, cleaning this device is a breeze as both the food basket and drawer are dishwasher safe. Overall, the NuWave 36001 is an ideal choice if you’re looking for a new and healthy way of cooking without compromising on taste. Its affordable price is also a big plus.
- It’s very easy to clean as compared to other air fryers on the market.
- It features a LED screen which makes it very intuitive and easy to use.
- Comes with a 90-day money back guarantee.
- It also comes with some handy accessories.
- The unit also comes with a user manual and recipes.
- The cooking capacity is small.
Things to Keep in Mind
We have covered a considerable amount of information about the best air fryer to buy in a short amount of time but you will agree that the oilless air fryer is going to be a game changer in the kitchen, we can say goodbye to having to choose between good taste and healthy eating. Once you do make the decision to purchase an air fryer be sure to read over the instructions properly and get your family involved, by having them participate in the preparation of meals it will foster a sense of unity within the family. We hope our Air Fryer Reviews were of good quality to you.